Friday, August 26, 2022

South Korea Trip, August 27

Good morning Gangnam!  Today's skies are the clearest that I have seen here!  It will be sunny all day, but the temperature will be a comfortable 26°C (78°F) at the max.  If the weather is any indication, today will be a good day.

Today's Agenda

Sadly, I don't plan to go outside and enjoy the great weather for most of today.  I have a few chores to do first.  Maybe I will complete them then have time to go for a walk around town.

Even though today will be dull relative to most of my other days here, tonight will be one of the most special.  I will be meeting with some of my friends to go somewhere special.  I don't know why the place is special or what exactly I will be doing there.  All of that will be revealed to me after I arrive.

My goals for today are:

  • Do laundry and other chores.
  • Meet with friends at surprise place.

Today's experiences

I spent most of today being lazy.  I watched YouTube videos, chatted with friends online, and found other ways to pass the time.  I also did a few chores that were on my list of things to do today.

Finally, 6pm came, and it was time for me to go to meet my friends!

가막새

가막새 (Gamagsae) is a small Korean restaurant with a cozy authentic feel.  It is just under an hour away from me by metro.  I am told that there is some more to this restaurant that I will discover when I arrive.

I meet my two friends 다인 (Da-In) and 수진 (Soojin) in front of the restaurant right at 7pm as planned.  We enter and are guided to a place to sit to eat.

My first impression is that it is extremely cozy and traditional.

The owner is very friendly.  My friends start a conversation with her.  I don't know enough Korean to participate, but I can understand enough to know that the topics are the restaurant, EXID, and fans.  Somehow these are all related?

After the chat, we get up from our table and are taken to the front of the store.

On a post and wall next to the cash register are letters, photos, and other memorabilia.  Among these are, in order of when I noticed them: a signed EXID album, a letter from Solji to the owners, and a photograph of Solji with the owners from over ten years ago.

The photograph of Solji was before she became so famous.  The lady showing us these things must have known Solji for a very long time.

After my friends chatted with the owner -- again, I barely participated since I can only understand a few words -- we go back to our table.

My friends explain that this restaurant is owned by family friends of Solji's.  The lady's son is the best friend of Solji's brother.

Suddenly, the owner brings a Solji poster in and gives it to us.  Maybe we can't eat with Solji tonight, but we can eat with Solji's likeness!

It is absolutely adorable!

We also have our food now.  It's really delicious.  I get a recipe for the first main dish, but sadly some of the ingredients aren't readily available in Mississippi.  I guess this is the only country to eat the authentic meal.


We eat the good food, enjoy sitting next to the Solji poster, and hear stories about Solji.

I really love the story about Solji saving a stray animal.  She gave the pet to a business owner and paid for the pet's food.  I couldn't tell if the business in the story was this restaurant or place, but it doesn't matter.  Solji really does have the biggest heart.

My friends and I had a very special and lovely time.

Photo Booth

After the restaurant, we have plans for more activities.  On the way to them, we stop in a photobooth.


Yes, I'm wearing a bow.  (I know one friend back home will tease me about it -- bring it on, haha!)

Arcade

After the photobooth, we walk farther down the street to an arcade.



We wander around until we find a three player game.  "Deadstorm Pirates: Special Edition".

We totally rock it!  Well, we "rock" the game until we run out of coins to continue.  We are very good for having never played the game before though.

Room Escape

We end the night's adventures at an escape room.

I have no digital photos of this adventure, and I was asked to not share the details of it.

I'll just say that 다인 (Da-In), 수진 (Soojin), and I made a great team!  We beat the escape room with twelve minutes to spare.





No comments:

Post a Comment