Wednesday, August 24, 2022

South Korea Trip, August 25

 Good morning Gangnam!  Today will be cloudy with some rain.  The temperature high will be 24°C (76°F).  I am glad that the temperature is going down, but I hope that there won't be much rain today.

Today's Agenda

I won't have any grand adventures today, but that doesn't mean that today won't be busy.  Still, I hope to take it easy after yesterday's mountain climbing.

Here's what I have planned for today:

  • Exchange more money.
  • Buy 다인 (Da-in) a gift.
  • Work on LEGGO News fansite.
It should be a full day, but there will be less physical exertion than usual.

Today's Experiences

Today was mostly about food with a little bit of shopping and walking.  There was a lot of food though.

I'll start with the shopping because that's what I did first after finishing my fansite work.

Buying a Gift

Gift giving is a very popular custom here.  I have received many gifts from my friends in the fandom over the years, and all of them have been very good and well thought out.  I don't know if that is also part of the custom or if I just have good friends in this fandom.

I decided to give a gift to a special person while I am here in Korea.  다인 (Da-In) helped in planning my trip, she is answering my many questions, and she found a language tutor to hire when I asked for one.  I want to show her my appreciation and give her a good gift.

I have a specific gift in mind (but I can't share what it is on here), and I think that I know exactly where to go to buy it.  I return to the massive Lotte Department Store.

I find the specific shop within the department store that I am looking for.  There are communication issues, and I have to resort to using a translator app to clear up a misunderstanding.  Finally expressing my desire to buy a certain item from a picture, the employee shows me one that is very similar to the one that I want.

I am shocked at the price.  The version that I want is much cheaper, but I have no way of buying that one, because it is only for sale online and I can't easily purchase things online without citizenship.  This similar one seems like it is my only option.  I decide to buy it.

I'm a little anxious about the unexpected cost of the gift.  My friend and her efforts are worth it, and I can afford the gift without stress, but I'm worried about how it will be received.  I will give my friend the gift on Saturday when I next see her.  I hope that she will like it.  :)

Waffle Topped with Icecream Lunch

For lunch, I want to try a restaurant near my home.  I walk past it often and see the pictures of their delicious-looking waffles with icecream.  (There is a specific name for the dessert, but I forget it.)

I find the restaurant easily, but it takes me several minutes to figure out how to order my lunch.  The layout is very confusing with each floor serving a different type of food.  I finally find the desserts on the third floor of the restaurant.

I order the waffle and icecream with brown cheese.

Mmm!  The cheese tastes like cheesecake, and the rest are just as one would expect: also delicious!

The view from this floor is also really good.  I can sit and watch the passersby for a while, and I do just that.



After my dessert lunch, which I could not finish since it is enough to fill two people, I walk back to my apartment and stay there for a while.

Apgujeong Rodeo

Around 5pm, it's time for supper.  I ask 다인 (Da-In) for suggestions because I have already gone to everything nearby that I wanted to go to.  She suggests that I check out Apgujeong Rodeo Street.


It is a street filled with fashion stores and fancy restaurants!

I get the feeling that 다인 has realized that I set a comfortable budget for my trip.  However... I'm not rich enough for this street!  Haha!

I am also uncomfortable about eating at an expensive restaurant because of my recent big purchase.  I think that I will stick with a 100,000원 limit for the rest of my trip.

I decide not to eat on Apgujeong Rodeo Street, but it is still a neat street.  I enjoy exploring it and window shopping for the next hour.

Pizza for Supper

I decide to head back home and find a restaurant near my apartment.  I walk around the block then eventually decide on a pizza restaurant.  I forget the name of it, but it was not very special.

It was average.

Really, if you're going to get pizza, go to the restaurant that I visited the other day, the one that Hyelin suggested.  Actually, just go to the restaurants on Hyelin's list.  I've realized that is the thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment