Tuesday, August 23, 2022

South Korea Trip, August 24

Good morning Gangnam!  There are clouds in the sky, but the visibility below is clearer than usual.  I think that this implies that there is a good breeze today that has swept away the usual dust that fogs the view.  The forecast is also good: cloudy with a high of 27°C (80°F).


Today's Agenda

I will finally climb 불곡산 today.  It will be a very difficult climb, but today's weather is on my side.

After the climb, I want to find 성북 돈가스 and eat there, if I'm not too exhausted or dirty.

This is my agenda:

Both of these are inspired by Hyelin -- really, what would this trip have been without her?

Let's go!

Today's Experiences

I am dead tired tonight.  I will sleep very well.

Today's adventures were inspired by Hyelin's YouTube vlog about her hiking 불곡산, a mountain about two hours North of where I'm staying.  It was the third and final mountain that I wanted to reach the top of on my trip, so I have succeeded in that goal now!

Trip to 불곡산

I woke up this morning with plenty of time to get ready for my mountain climbing trip.  I took my time.  I didn't want to leave until around 10am or 11am so that I could skip all of the rush hour traffic.

When it was time to go, I hopped on the long-distance bus and relaxed for the next couple of hours.

The bus ride finally ended in Yangju close to the mountain.  This area seemed very rural compared to Seoul, though I have seen much more rural areas back home.

Climbing the Mountain

I wasn't exactly sure where to go to find the mountain trail that I wanted.  Instead of Googling it like a smart person would, I just walked in the general direction of the mountain.

Eventually, the road turned narrow and steep.  As I walked the couple of miles along the steep and narrow road, I wondered if it would have been possible to drive to the top of the mountain.  It wouldn't have been, and I soon found out where this road leads.

Near the base of the mountain, just before the slope becomes steep, is a Buddhist temple (I think).  This is where the road ended.


With the road ending here, I was not sure where to go next.  The people around the temple completely ignored me, so I figured it must be common for hikers to come past here.  I walked around behind the temple to search for the trail that must be there.  I found it!



The trail was surprisingly not maintained very well and was very steep.  I found out later that this was not the trail that I was looking for.  I just found a shortcut, a direct path from the temple to the mountaintop.

This path eventually connected to the main trail beneath a walk-bridge.  The main trail was much cleaner and had more assisting tools such as handrails and ladders, but it was still very steep.


In record time -- thanks to my temple shortcut -- I reached the top!

Here are few pictures of the view from the top and from near the top:





Also near the top was the penguin rock.  I have to include a shot of this to complete my mission.  It was also included in Hyelin's vlog.

It's just a rock that looks like a penguin.

Dinner at 성북 돈까스

After Hyelin climbed the mountain, she at at 성북 돈까스.  Because I'm copying her for this adventure, I go to eat there too.  I take the easier main trail back down.  Then I walk to the restaurant near the bottom.

Hyelin was with friends on her trip, so she could order a variety of food.  I could not have eaten all of that alone, so I just picked one item on the menu: cheese filled fried pig slices.  (I don't know what it's actually called, but it looked so good!)

After dinner, I rode the bus the two hours back home.  Then I got cleaned up, did some light grocery shopping at 7-11, and updated this blog post.  Now I am ready to say "goodnight".

Goodnight!




No comments:

Post a Comment