Tuesday, August 16, 2022

South Korea Trip, August 17

Good morning Gangnam!  The weather forecast for here calls for rain starting midday and a temperature high of 29°C (85°F).

However, I will be spending today in Gwangju on the other side of the country.  The temperature will be a couple of degrees hotter, but there will be less rain.

Today's Agenda

I am returning to Gwangju today, but this time I am more prepared with a battery backup and refreshing beverages in my backpack.  I have discovered a treasure in Gwangju that many did not know existed, and today I will find it!  I am very excited!

  • Travel to Gwangju.
  • Find the treasure at 광주 케이팝스타의거리.
  • Visit the Asia Culture Center.
  • Return to Seoul.

So let's go!

Today's Experiences

I wore my body out.  I am exhausted and in pain.  I climbed a mountain yesterday, then I walked around Gwangju today.  Maybe it wasn't safe to push myself so hard, but I'm glad that I did because today fit perfectly into the theme of my trip.  I am exhausted and in pain, but I am also happy.

Train to Gwangju

I boarded the KTX bullet train to Gwangju this morning.  I really love how easy it is to travel to the other side of the country, and it takes less than two hours for my trip today.

I didn't get a good look at the countryside this trip because the shade was pulled down on the window that I shared with the seats ahead of me.  However, I did manage to snap one picture when I was texting my friend about her beautiful country.

I really do think that it is very pretty here.  Even the plastic greenhouses have a charm to them.

Almost to my destination, my side started hurting almost like a muscle cramp but not as painful.  I eventually decided that food would help.  I would eat lunch as soon as I got off the train.

Eunseong Gimbap

My friend 다인 (Da-In) texted me a restaurant recommendation with perfect timing while I was on the train thinking about lunch plans.  Her recommendation was 은성김밥 (Eunseong Gimbap).


다인's recommendation was very good for three reasons: first, her timing was perfect since I was thinking about food when she recommended the restaurant; second, she recommended the very food that I wanted to try for lunch; and third, this restaurant has a very special meaning.

Hyelin used to eat at Eunseong Gimbap every single day when she was in high school.  다인 told me this and sent me a video source (<link>).

So, how was the food?

The food tastes almost plain, except for the kimchi that tastes delicious and sweet.

I'm actually going to recommend this place.  Considering the price tag on the meals and that the food is decent overall, I think that this is a great place to eat.  My meal -- minus the coke -- cost me 2,500원 ($1.90).

Hyelin's Hand

A cast of Hyelin's hand is the treasure that I was seeking last time that I visited Gwangju when my phone battery started to die.  My plan for this trip was to go back to where I left off in my search.  Fate had a much simpler plan for me.

When I walked out of Eunseong Gimbap, I decided to walk to the corner of the street to get out of the way and read my map.  As I rounded the corner, I saw that I had already arrived at my destination.

The treasure that I sought was said to be across the road from the sign with the yellow text that I could see down the road.  I stood on the street corner for a few minutes just staring at this road entrance.  How could I have been so lucky as to just stumble across it right after leaving the restaurant?

I walked down the road, and I notice that there are even more references to EXID and Hyelin down this road.  Gwangju is Hyelin's hometown, so she is honored on this road for kpop stars from Gwangju.




And finally, I see what I wanted to see:

Her hand is smaller than I imagined it would be, and I thought the smallness was very precious and cute.  My loving mind continued to think of compliments about Hyelin's hand.  Of course, I did (shyly) touch her hand too.  I wanted to stay forever.

I am surprised that many fans did not know that a cast of Hyelin's hand exists in Gwangju.  I've promulgated its existence and a map of where it is to other fans.  I hope that others will be able to visit and enjoy this work of art too.

Eventually, I knew that I had to go.  I wanted to visit the Asia Culture Center too.

Asia Culture Center

The Asia Culture Center was built on the birthplace of the Gwangju democratic uprising.  I have read about this historic event and recommend learning more about it.


My visit here was inspired by Hyelin's visit during a WattaTV episode. (<source>)  The center was closed when they visited, and it seems that my luck is not much better.  Except for the library and the children's area, the center looked empty and shut down.  Making the best of the situation, I explored the open outside area of the center.





My legs started to become difficult to move, and I started stumbling a little.  I needed to find a place to rest for a while.  First, I had to satisfy my curiosity about why there is a giant green lawn on one side of the center.  Then I would rest.




I still don't know the reason for the lawn, but I saw the benches at the top and went there to rest.

I stayed for almost two hours.  I was mostly in the shade.  I could feel a nice breeze.  Dragonflies were playing on the lawn in front of me.  Further, people were walking to and from the center gates.  I could hear them sometimes, and I could hear traffic from the road behind me, but there were also nature sounds of crickets and birds.


After a while, I looked up to the mountains.  I was surprised to see the pavilion that I visited that week on the nearest mountain.  I suddenly had context for where I was and a connection to last week's adventure.  My time resting on the bench was given a lot more meaning.

The pavilion is small from this distance, but it is visible in the picture above the bushes.

Train to Seoul

I arrived back at the train station at 5pm and purchased an SRT ticket.  My train would leave at 6:30, so I spent the time walking around the nearby streets.

After I boarded the train, my side started to hurt even worse.  An hour into the trip, I could not take a deep breath without flinching.  Also, my legs felt like they were about to cramp up at any moment.  When I finally departed the train and could straighten up and stretch a little, I felt a little less pain.

In the Seoul station, after leaving the SRT, I would take the metro the rest of the way home.  I knew exactly what train to get on, but there was too much information in this super-station where many lines crossed.  It would take me forever to read all of the signs.

As I'm trying to figure out which of the hallways I should go down, I hear, "hello nice to meet you how are you" behind me.  I glance at the source of the sound, and it's a guy standing a couple of meters away with his phone.  I return to reading the many signs in the station, and I hear again, "hello nice to meet you how are you".  I turn again, and our eyes meet.  "Hello."

The person behind me was trying to come up to me and start a conversation.  He, whose name is Terry, did succeed, and we chatted for a little while.  His hobby is practicing English.  We had a simple conversation, and it was really cool.

Terry's route overlapped mine at first, so he showed me the train that I needed to get on.  Sadly, we departed when I had to transfer to another line, but I am very grateful for his help in getting me home.

Finally, I am home, and I have decided that I will take tomorrow off.  I want to push myself to explore even more, but I realize that I need to heal tomorrow instead.  Maybe I will spend it thinking back on today and how much I enjoyed this day.


No comments:

Post a Comment